Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Sometimes . . .

. . . I want to teach my class whatever is left on the whiteboard from the class before us, even if I have no idea what the terms, diagrams, or scrawls means.

. . . I want to buy the items off a found grocery list (lost by someone else) and do something with those items.


Today . . .

. . . I found a list in the deli, and I actually picked it up. The list was on a heavy piece of rectangular paper, about 3 inches wide and 5 inches tall. It listed the following in block letters (with weird capitalization) in heavy black marker:

PARSlEY - frEsh
ICEberG - LettucE
MAJic SizinG - Light
CAlAmARi - Frozen
DOVE BARS - Choc

(Unfortunately, I can't reproduce the underlining here.)

Then on a Super-Sticky Post-it Note (the real expensive thing!) that was positioned perfectly on the paper so that it touched the bottom and side margins (by the way, this part was in cursive and in pencil):

Spray Sizing (light)
2 Large Dove Bars
IceBerg LETTuce

When I flipped the list-card over, there was a printed line drawing of an Old Spice cologne bottle. I figured this must be one of those papers you get when you're testing out scents. I sniffed the paper. It smelled like the sharpie, the marker used to write the first part of the list.


Observations: 1) the owner of this list likely bought something (something from the deli) not on his/her list; 2) Dove Bars, Iceberg Lettuce, and Spray Sizing were important enough to be written down more than once; 3) if I were to buy the items on this shopping list, I could have nicely pressed shirts, skirts, and handkerchiefs; I could give friends candy bars (I'm not too fond of plain chocolate; although Dove is pretty good) or make Texas Chocolate Chip Cookies (this looks similar to the recipe I have); I have no idea what I would do with the calamari; and lettuce and parsley are easy enough to find something to do with.

5 comments:

Alicia said...

That is such an interesting concept. It's almost as if you are getting a glimpse into someone else's life. They are obviously a fan of seafood and chocolate. An interesting combination in and of itself.

literaqueen said...

I actually heard about a literacy researcher who asked people for their already-used grocery lists for a study he was doing. This is kind of like figuring out what a person is like from their grocery cart items. I like it-- creative stalking of sorts.

Now I want some Dove chocolate.

Did your Christmas present reach you safely?

Betty Edit said...

Parsley--to make the can of Campbell's soup look more appetizing.

Lettuce--food for the pet rabbit

Sizing--for the cheap tablecloth purchased in preparation of the mother-in-law's visit.

Calamari--I have no idea why anyone would ever want calamari.

Chocolate--do you really need a reason?

whirligigdaisy said...

I want to be there when you teach off what was left on the whiteboard. Sounds interesting.

Betty Edit said...

Sometimes I wish you updated your blog more often. I like to hear your thoughts. :o)